Welcome to The Allied Health Professions Council of South Africa
The Allied Health Professions Council of South Africa (AHPCSA) is a statutory health body established in terms of the Allied Health Professions Act, 63 of 1982 (the Act) in order to control all allied or complementary health professions, which includes Aromatherapy, Ayurveda, Chinese Medicine and Acupuncture, Chiropractic, Homeopathy, Naturopathy, Osteopathy, Phytotherapy, Reflexology, Therapeutic Aromatherapy, Therapeutic Massage Therapy, Therapeutic Reflexology and Unani-Tibb.
The AHPCSA is mandated in terms of the Act to:
- Promote and protect the health of the public;
- Manage, administer and set policies relating to the professions registered with the AHPCSA;
- Investigate complaints relating to the professional conduct of practitioners, interns and students;
- Administer the registration of persons governed by the AHPCSA;
- Set standards for the education and training of intending practitioners; and
- The AHPCSA is also responsible to advise the Minister of Health and the National Department of Health on matters as they relate to the allied health professions and to communicate to the Minister of Health matters of public importance acquired in the course of its functions.
The AHPCSA consists of 3 divisions: